Removing rocker shaft

JohnG

Removing rocker shaft

Post by JohnG » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:50 pm

I'm trying to remove the cylinder head of my 1946 Rover 12 and have got to the point where the manual says "lift" the rocker shaft. Only problem is, it won't move a at all. There is a little bit of free play in the first (radiator end) bracket but otherwise it's absolutely solid. I've soaked everything in WD40 for a good 24 hours but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks.

TonyG

Re: Removing rocker shaft

Post by TonyG » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:39 am

John,

I’m trying to remember; I think there are locating pegs in addition to the bolts and I suspect these are seized into place. Can only suggest some lateral tapping on the posts and gentle levering. Failing that, a bit of heat on the posts might get them to free up.

These heads are a bit of a pain because you must re-torque them a day or so after running them and this requires removal of the rocker shaft again and setting of the tappers, if I recall! On one of mine the head has been skimmed and the supporting lug on the block beneath the water pump is so close that it stopped the head being torqued down properly. This was remedied with another gasket change and the lug grinding down.

Tony
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

JohnG

Re: Removing rocker shaft

Post by JohnG » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:11 pm

Hello Tony,

Thank you for the tips. There are indeed pegs as you describe so I will do as you suggest.

Regards,

John