Oil Pressure Hose

MichaelKeay

Oil Pressure Hose

Post by MichaelKeay » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:12 am

Some advice please from you learned Rover people. My 1947 (16) P2 has suffered a cracked oil pressure hose at the guage end you can imagine the catastrophe of engine oil everywhere before engine shut down. I am currently removing the old “Flexi type hose from the engine and I notice after removal of the hose a fitting from the engine block there remains in the engine block the feed nipple for want of a better term. There has always been a very minor leakage there.I notice there is a nut of sort but it has little metal showing to affix a scanner to. I would like to somehow unscrew this part so as to put some tape on the internal fitting to stop the minor seepage. Any advice re removing this would be appreciated. I’m probably showing my ignorance or lack of experience so hope my description is decipherable.

I’m now tackling the removal of the hose from the guage end. I have removed the Speedo to get in behind the guage, no mean feet and a lot of skin. It has been suggested to me to replace the hose with a length of copper tube appropriately connected. Any thoughts. Mike Coudrey has a replacement hose, But the copper tubing sounds a bit more durable.
Many thanks

Mike P2 47 (16)

luli

Re: Oil Pressure Hose

Post by luli » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:35 pm

The oil pressure gauge is fed from a fine threaded screw that also holds the rear camshaft bearing in place. a 5/16 BSF ring can be used to extract it, but be careful. a fiber washer under it, or a drop of Loxeel will stop the leak, provided everything is clean and dry. The copper tubing is a bad idea. The engine and instrument board are not rigidly connected and are moving relative to each other. Quit soon the copper tube will crack, or break something. Mike's tube will survive for the next 70 years. See also here https://wp.me/pXLKy-21U
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

MichaelKeay

Re: Oil Pressure Hose

Post by MichaelKeay » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:07 pm

Thanks Luli. I gave up the idea of a copper pipe for the exact reasons you mentioned. I’ve had a new hose fitting made by a professional hose doctor. Cost a lot at $260 but worth it. Now the clean up and new carpets.

Mike.