P2 1947 16. Speedometer

MichaelKeay

P2 1947 16. Speedometer

Post by MichaelKeay » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:41 am

Just back from an afternoon jaunt in my P2. Of circa 80 km. say 50 miles. Obviously my speedometer is in mph (we use kph or kms) Shortly before reaching outskirts of my town my speedometer started to read erroneously with wild swings from nil to 60mph. It sat for awhile at 30mph when I assessed my actual speed at 55mph. Upon returning home and switching off it sat at 40mph. It returned to zero after stating again and putting car into its garage. I would appreciate some comments /advice as to what’s happening here. Am I right in thinking the Speedo cable comes from gearbox. I sense an expense here unless there’s an easy fix for this that a simple fellow like me can do. Car is due for its MOT and NZ a working speedometer is essential for a pass.

TonyG

Re: P2 1947 16. Speedometer

Post by TonyG » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:53 pm

Michael,

The erratic speedo readings suggest a possible cable fault - sticking or snagging due to worn strands. However, the fact that the reading stuck at 30 when you stopped and there was, therefore, no drive to the speedo suggests a problem with the speedo head itself.

I have two 12s and, assuming a similar set up, access to the cable at the gearbox end is easy once the gearbox cover is removed. It fixes into the rhs of the box. The only other cable is the freewheel, which goes in higher up. The speedo end can be accessed from behind the dashboard and simply screws into place on the speedo. Once removed it’s a good idea to lubricate well even if it turns freely.

I’d check the cable works freely first and if that is ok then a substitute speedo would be the next step. If you have another speedo then try that first as it’s probably easier.

Hope that helps.

Tony Gilbert
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

MichaelKeay

Post by MichaelKeay » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:51 pm

Thank you Tony. I’m tending to go the way of Speedo fault but as I’m about to lift the carpets to check the gearbox oil level I’ll check cable as well.

Mike.

MichaelKeay

Post by MichaelKeay » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:28 am

Tony G. If you’re still on topic, I was traveling yesterday to a special Vintage car club display gathering when I noticed the trip and accumulative mileage meters still working only the speed indicator not working. Looks like an instrument repair needed. I’ve had a look at removal, it is certainly a tight hand wise area to work to get to the two knurled knobs holding the speeding to the the dash. After that off to whomever still services Jaeger instruments in this neck of the woods.
As an aside it would be handee to have a tool to feed onto the knurled fixers.
Mike K

jp928

Post by jp928 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:06 am

Make sure you are NOT wearing a watch when you stick your hand behind the dash! BTDT.
jp 26 Rover 9

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:55 am

Yes it will be a fiddle to get undone but easier than taking the wooden dash and instrument panel out. However, if the nuts cannot be undone that is the only other way. Doing that risks disturbing all the wiring and you will need to either undo the drive cable or gain sufficient slack to get it far enough out, so best avoided. I would suggest getting some penetrating fluid onto threaded studs in advance of removal. If your speedo still has the brass knurled nuts it should be easier but steel ones may have been substituted at some point and that may make them seize a bit more. Probably best to disconnect the battery before you start. Good luck with getting it out.
A quick Google shows a couple of likely places for repair; Parrot and Son in South Island and Auckland Speedo Repairs so you should be ok.

Tony.
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

MichaelKeay

Post by MichaelKeay » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:41 pm

Great, thanks for that Tony.