Wiring Loom

1938 P2 14

Wiring Loom

Post by 1938 P2 14 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:17 pm

4 Years ago I was trying to remove my dashboard and found all the terminals on the clocks etc would not undo. This was the best news as the wiring was crumbling as it is VIR and I honestly thought if have not found this it would have caught fire sooner or later.Anyway as I now don't have a full time job I am thinking of buying or making a new harness,I was an aircraft wiring technician at Bae/BAC. Has anyone replaced there own? Iain

GOY189

Re: Wiring Loom

Post by GOY189 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:22 pm

They are available from Autosparks of Long Eaton, who will install extra wires for flashing indicators etc. If memory serves, they are in 3 pieces. The main loom, the feed for semaphore arms and interior light that feeds down the nearside screen pillar and the horn wiring. Installing fuses for each circuit is recommended in line or in a block and high current drain items should be fed via a relay.

Hope this helps

BTW what is VIR?

Mike

Chris C

Post by Chris C » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:16 am

Last winter, I fitted an Autosparks loom to my 1939 - 14 saloon, it cost £250, money well spent.
http://www.autosparks.co.uk/product_inf ... ts_id=4623
It came in 4 sections, rear loom, front loom + headlamp loom, dashboard loom and roof loom.
At no extra cost, they also included extra wires in the loom for flashing indicators, high level
brake light, power socket under dashboard (these were all at my request. Everything fitted
exactly, all I needed to do on some wire ends was to attach the correct terminal.
They are very helpful @ Autosparks with any queries (speak to Debbie).

The wiring diagrams are all available in the P2 Workshop Manual, all the wiring loom colours were
correct to type on Autosparks loom. I only had one problem, the wiring diagram in the P2 Manual is
produced by Lucas. Their version of left and right side of the vehicle is opposite to what you would
think in relation to the trafficator wiring circuit on the car.

After connecting everything up, I connected a blade fuse holder between the battery and battery
terminal, used a 5 amp fuse and then started to switch individual components "on" then "off".
After everything had been checked and was working, I then started to turn everything on, but used
a heavier fuse. Of course also checked the ignition / starter circuit for function.

Hope this is helpful, Chris C.
Chris Cartmell - DVLA Liaison Officer
Rover Sport Register

1939 - Rover 14 Saloon (P2)
1975 - Rover 2200 Saloon (P6)

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:11 am

GOY189 wrote:They are available from Autosparks of Long Eaton, who will install extra wires for flashing indicators etc. If memory serves, they are in 3 pieces. The main loom, the feed for semaphore arms and interior light that feeds down the nearside screen pillar and the horn wiring. Installing fuses for each circuit is recommended in line or in a block and high current drain items should be fed via a relay.

Hope this helps

BTW what is VIR?

Mike
VIR : Vulcanised India Rubber??

TimMoore

Post by TimMoore » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:36 am

Rewired our 16 with an Autosparks loom in 1993, at that time they hadn't made a 16 loom but had made 10 and 12 hp P2 looms. They added length to the underbonnet section on my request and since our car is an export model there were a couple of additional matters from memory relevent to the positioning of the spot lamp and horn being on opposite sides I had to sort out.

The quality of the loom was excellent and rrlatively easy to install, I took the dashboard out and wired that area with my brother supporting the dash, making it much easier!

Remember to leave small ends of the original loom on all dash connections making it quicker to connect up the right colours !!!

My only mistake was wiring up the green purple wire (which I had thought was the wipers) in the loom to the fuel tank sender (also green purple) since Autosparks had incorrectly brought out the ends of the relevent green purple wiring in the wrong places...

Head scratching and several blown fuses later the issue was sorted.

I believe they subsequently ensured their next 14 and 16 looms were corrected.

Being a guinea pig at the time was interesting!