water pump

babybazzer

water pump

Post by babybazzer » Mon May 11, 2009 6:06 pm

Thank you for the replies re the freewheel, I now appear to have problems with the water pump ! I decided to re-set the tappets yesterday, having done a few miles on the new rocker shaft and bushes. Engine warm and plugs out I got hold of the fan to turn the engine and oh dear ! there was considrable movement between the pump and engine.Once all back together there was also a distinct rumble from the front end which really confirms the bearings are suspect,though there are no discernable water leaks.
Question really is can this be removed without taking the radiator off ? It has the export aluminium fan (correct for a '47 tourer ?) which may get in the way.
Is this a home rebuild and if so any advice from anyone who has done one in the past would be welcome.If nnot any suggestions where to go for a rebuilt one or a rebuild of mine?
Thank you all in anticipation once again.

47p2

Re: water pump

Post by 47p2 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:32 am

There is not enough clearance to get the pump out.

It is possible to replace the bearings and seals, but as I have not done mine I don't know what is involved.

Mike Evans is the waterpump expert

Phil - Nottingham

Re: water pump

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Tue May 12, 2009 4:51 pm

I have used EP Services of Wolverhampton now several times on recommedation of Stan Stokes who had his 14 one rebuilt there for a number of classic Rover water pumps now. Good price £50 and fast turnround

BTW anyone know how poor old Stan is getting on?
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others