Rear wheel bearings - collar type removal/renewal

Phil - Nottingham

Rear wheel bearings - collar type removal/renewal

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:19 pm

Has anyone tried doing these without the 20 ton press recommended to remove and refit (the new) collar. I know the collar can be carefully removed by grinding a groove in it almost touching the shaft but it could result in nicking it and setting up a stress fracture.

I also do not like the idea of ramming the new collar back although heating the collar freezing the shaft may help a lot.

The same method is used on P3-P5's and most Series Land Rover's so there must be an easier way.

I posted this on the old Forum with very little result but thanks to those that did respond - hpefully one them will join this forum and post his pictures soon ;)
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others

47p2

Re: Rear wheel bearings - collar type removal/renewal

Post by 47p2 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:38 am

Grinding the groove is the easiest method for removal. You do not need to cut right through the collar, the chisel will split the metal along the groove if it is deep enough. This method is used everyday at garages for wheel bearing removal.

A hydraulic press will easily tackle replacing the collar. Why not have a word with your local garage or MOT tester. There is only a few minutes work involved in replacing the collar and I am sure your garage will not charge too much.

I will take some pictures of the tool Tom Wilson made and post them up

Phil - Nottingham

Re: Rear wheel bearings - collar type removal/renewal

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:53 pm

Thanks for this - I may treat myself to a press as at last count I have 20 such reatiners than will one require replacement :roll:
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others