Speed 14 steering, brakes & performance

Like a good wine, vintage Rovers need appreciating
David2021

Speed 14 steering, brakes & performance

Post by David2021 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:47 am

Good Morning RSR.
    This is my first contact with you ....so be gentle!!
    I am talking to the owner of a 1934 Speed 14 whose car is in very good apparent condition, but I was concerned when he said that the steering "wandered" unlike that on his Park Ward Bentley(!) where he could run straight at 80mph on the Autobahn! The Rover apparently was comfortable at 60-65 but the steering needed constant correction. This does not sound good to me.
    He also thought the hydraulic brakes were "unique to this model" and he had to have wheel cylinders specially cast....can this be true?
    The car has well known provenance and is not cheap, but these are points of concern as I would intend to use the car!
    A general point. The 3 x SU set up only appears to give a small power improvement as far as my research shows about 54 vs 45 bhp or so? ok, 20% uplift, but from a pretty low base! On a 1200kg car at least 60 would be good. It is a long stroke engine of course, but....?

digcot65

Re: Speed 14 steering, brakes & performance

Post by digcot65 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:47 pm

I bought my car a 1934 Rover 12 from a garage VSL in Garstang blind,due to the first lockdown.However they were 100% honest in their description,they said the steering was very poor due to play in the box.This was approx 4 inches before the wheels got the message they should turn .I`ve had the box rebuilt and there is no noticeable play i the wheel.I`ve yet to try it on the road ,but the rebuilders said it was awful re the play .Len

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:28 pm

Forgot to add I dont know if you have owned or driven an old car, but the steering is nothing like a modern one and it does need controlling rather than let it keep a straight line.I think the older a car is ,the worse the steering is. Remember they were never designed to run on modern roads at the speeds we do now.How much play is there at the wheel 2" not too bad over that it needs attention or rebuilding.The man who owned mine as far as I could tell didn`t like driving it and it had done no miles in the last few years .The garage I bought it off I think were selling it for the family as he had passed away.There was damage to every wing where it had it something.Good luck with the purchase if it goes ahead,may be worthwhile trying to bid the owner less than he is asking,to allow for a possible steering rebuild .Mine cost me £900 for the steering box and column.Len

David2021

Post by David2021 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:06 pm

Thanks for that feedback. I am familiar with older car & you are absolutely right! the other area with beam axles is, of course, castor angle & I have read this up on this forum. The information on steering box rebuilding is interesting & helpful...who rebuilt it?
    David

luli

Post by luli » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:21 pm

Even with considerable play in the steering these old Rovers can drive at high speed with no wander. The front axle angels need to be correct, and increased castor angel is necessary, scarifying somewhat ease of parking. See here some methods how to get it https://wp.me/pXLKy-3FX and especially here https://wp.me/pXLKy-4iX .
    Rover 10 1946 RHD
    Rover 10 1947 LHD
    Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
    http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:32 pm

The steering rebuilders were MCP West Byfleet .They originally quoted £750 to rebuild the box and column ,but is finished at £900 they said the drop arm and spigot were loose and had to be replaced ,which was very unusual resulting in the increased cost,they returned the old parts I did originally take it to a large steering repair centre in Birmingham as it was near enough to take it myself.However after two months when I again phoned they said the elderly man who did these was off ill .When I phone the following week I was told they were waiting for parts.I took it away saying I needed to move the car and I never heard from them again So I can`t recommend a large company who advertise they rebuild steering ass. The car you are looking at can fetch high prices in the £30 region Len

David2021

Post by David2021 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:05 pm

Luli, It was your posts I read on castor angle...very helpful & interesting. The other matter that can influence the front end is of course the harmonic balancers...I thought they were decorative until I drove a car without :lol: its front bumper!

GOY189

Post by GOY189 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:37 pm

The earlier 14 engine was a small 6 cylinder unit displacing only 1577cc and spirited use resulted in problems with the small ends to the extent that 14hp pistons for the 1937 and 38 seasons used a gudgeon pin with a larger diameter. From August 1938 for the 1939 season a new 1901cc engine having a common (100mm) stroke with the other cars in the range was fitted. Further to Len's info, 34 cars (correct me if I'm wrong Len) had a Marles-Weller steering box. Later cars were fitted with a Burman-Douglas steering set up. Some play around the dead ahead position is common.

Hope all this helps

Mike

HAD501

Post by HAD501 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:11 pm

Interesting observation from David2021 regarding harmonic bumpers. My 12hp six-light is fitted with the non-stabilising type of bumper specified as an alternative on 1947 models. I've never felt as "secure" driving it as I did with another P2 I had some years ago. That was a 1947 4-light - virtually identical from the mechanical point of view, except that it has the harmonic type bumper. Possibly something else to look into. Happy Rovering, DaveM

luli

Post by luli » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:40 pm

I have two Rovers 10: one with harmonic stabilizer and one without. No difference in driving or idle. The patent claims less rattle on idle...
    Rover 10 1946 RHD
    Rover 10 1947 LHD
    Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
    http://lulisml.wordpress.com/