what car ??

Like a good wine, vintage Rovers need appreciating
shaunmelly

what car ??

Post by shaunmelly » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi all im new to the group (and rovers) I have puchased a 1935 Rover 10 saloon, can anyone tell me how much easier it is to drive the later P2 models as I have MS and its a bit too much for me.I am used to driving late 30s Austins and bubble cars but this car has me beat
thanks all for your comments

TonyG

Re: what car ??

Post by TonyG » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:46 pm

What issues are you having? Not a lot of mechanical difference P1/p2 so perhaps the problems you have are specific to your car rather than the model.

Good to hear more detail from you.

Tony Gilbert
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

jp928

Post by jp928 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:03 am

As an example, I have a 26 9/20 that was 95% restored by another, and I am trying to finish it off - all mechanicals done, apparently well, but needed wiring, trim , glass etc. As soon as I tried to get it moving under its own steam, I found the steering horrendously heavy. Bumped tyre pressures on advise, not much help. Started eliminating possible causes by selective dismantling. As soon as I disconnected the drag link, the steeing box was axcellent (a little slack in the centre), so the problem was not there. Drag link - one ball joint was the cause - done up far too tighly, and required heat to loosen the adjuster. Its much better, but still heavy - 1-1/4 turns lock to lock.
Tell us the issues you have so we can advise properly.
jp 26 Rover 9

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:12 am

The crash gearbox is also a required skill, but easy enough once you get the hang of it and very satisfying! Again, if this is an area of concern we can give guidance on the technique required.

I saw a Rover 10 for sale- eBay I think- which sounded like yours. If that is the case I do hope that you share your issues with us before it sells, giving you the best chance of enjoying it while it’s in your possession. My pre war Rovers are a joy to drive and far better than many vehicles 30 years newer!

Tony.
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport