Speed 14 engine reconditioning

Like a good wine, vintage Rovers need appreciating
Stefaan

Speed 14 engine reconditioning

Post by Stefaan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:29 pm

Hello,
My 1934 speed 14 engine needs to be reconditioned. Engine has bad oil pressure and smokes like a ...It was running on sae 50 and Bardall oil treatment to have oil pressure and less smoke. So I decided to open the engine.
Big end bearings and main bearings need remetalling ,new valves and seats, and new pistons. Problem is that the engine already has the maximum +060" oversize pistons. So I need +070" pistons .
As these pistons are not available I found 6 liners (65mm) to fit the standard pistons (61mm). New problem I can't find the standard pistons for the speed 14 (gudgeon pin 9/16"). The standard pistons of the 14 hp are identical except
the gudgeon pin is 5/8". These pistons are easy to find. If I install these pistons the bronze bushes will go from 2mm thickness to 1 mm thickness. Is that still acceptable?
The Rover workshop manuel gives another solution to install other pistons and connection rods. Can anyone tell me witch pistons and connection rods ?
A big problem also is to find a workshop where they can do the remetalling of the bearings at a reasonable prize ( I'm from Belgium )

Kind Regards, Stefaan

djm16

Re: Speed 14 engine reconditioning

Post by djm16 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:24 am

I am not advocating this, but just aware of it as a possibility. You need a cast iron crock pot and some pure-ish zinc. Heat the zinc in the crockpot to molten. Then dip each bearing shell in the molten zinc.

Stefaan

Post by Stefaan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:33 pm

If it's so easy I can try it. But shouldn't I better use babbitt metal and doesn't the crankshaft need to be grinded?
I still have not found the standard pistons. (61mm) I'm almost sure there is an alternative for that problem.
I also can ream the conectionrod and install new bushes for the 5/8" gudgeon pin but I'm not sure the connection rod will hold!
The diameter in the connection rod should be enlarged by 1,75mm!

Kind regards, Stefaan

luli

Post by luli » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:16 pm

Can you find any set of pistons? The sleeves can be rebored after installation. What would you consider a reasonable cost of re-metaling? I know a place in Israel and a place in Leeds, England. In my experience the issue is time - not necessarily mony. See more here:

https://lulisml.wordpress.com/2014/04/0 ... A2-%D7%96/
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

ColinDelage

Post by ColinDelage » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:47 pm

Stefan,
There are some very good vintage car engineers in Belgium and Holland.

If you are on Facebook, look up and join Le Cyclecariste Belge and ask the question. The guy who runs it has many fine cars and will know people who can carry out the work.

If your not on Facebook, let me know and I will try and find some contacts.

Good luck.

Stefaan

Post by Stefaan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:12 pm

Hello, I can not find the standard pistons 61mm.(hepolite 7764) I found oversize 0,02 0,03 0,04 and 0,06" ,but normal they don't rebore the liners (is only 2mm thickness). The only alternative I found was Kohler K91 pistons. But this comes from a lawnmoyer and I'm not sure it can be used for a car. The pistons of the Honda C77 +0,040" would also fit but has gudgeon pin of 15mm and compression hight of 31,5mm.
I know a person in Holland who has a very good reputation (Maastricht) but the problem is the pistons. As long as I have no pistons I don't take the risk to remetalling the bearings.Each bearing will cost 320€ and there are 10 bearings.

Kind Regards, Stefaan

ColinDelage

Post by ColinDelage » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:25 am

I assume you have tried F W Thornton’s for the pistons?
http://www.fwthornton.co.uk
I am having similar problems trying to sort out pistons for my Delage, unfortunately I think I will have to get new ones made for around £200 each. (They are 75mm so bigger than the Rover)

I have sent your question about using the standard 14 pistons with thinner pins to a friend - he is an excellent engineer working on such cars as Bugatti, Alfa, Maserati etc. and may have an answer.

The bearing price seems very expensive. I have been told around £100 each for bearing and machining for my Delage (though I haven’t got a final price yet)

Colin

Stefaan

Post by Stefaan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:19 am

Hello Colin,
Looking for pistons is a big problem, it's a jungle! The best site I found is Gandini pistons, Planet-Moteur, SM pistons, carillo pistons, scafutopistoni...
There are 2 webshops on Ebay uk and Ebay de who have a large stock of old pistons at great prices. If You go to Ebay uk and look for Vauxhall pistons then You see the pistons and there original boxes. The sellers are philipboard and Kolben-pistons.
I think I found Delage pistons at Planet-Moteur or it could be Kolben-pistons on Ebay de
The prices to rebuild your bearings is less than half the price of my workshop! Perhaps it's better to look for a workshop in the south of England!
Kind Regards, Stefaan

p2roverman

Post by p2roverman » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:05 pm

Did you find STD pistons? I can't help, all my sets are oversizes. However, there should be some about. You have tried Thorntons? Do JP (Australia) make them?
You must use the 7764 pistons with your original rods, or, if you can find a set of rods from a 1937/8 14 engine then you can use the 5/8" gugeon pin pistons.
You might also get a better response from the forum if your post was in the relevant section, that is for the Wilkes P1 and P2 cars.